Crafty Stories

I like to tell stories through the creative arts. I may be slightly obsessed with books, movies, TV shows, yarn and fiber. Wanna hang out?

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sewing Along for the Holidays

I've been thinking a lot lately that I want to have more decorations for my home, but it's kind of overwhelming to know where to start. Sometimes I think that I will only have the supplies for something if I go buy it, or I know I have certain items on hand but I'm not sure how to use them.

Enter the Sew, Mama Sew! No Excuses Holiday Sew-Alongs to the rescue! Every week the blog will feature three different projects for holiday home decor - a set of place mats, an Advent calendar and a tree skirt (well, really, tree pants, ha!). I'm hoping to do all three, with possibly a few modifications.

Today I gathered up the fabrics to make my place mats. I'm actually going to sew mine together in one long strip to make a table runner instead of mats, so we'll see how that goes. I want it to be reversible, too, so I can use the same thing for two seasons without putting it away. So I'm going with general fall-inspired colors on one side and winter colors on the other. Neither is a GREAT match for my home decor, but that's okay. I might put it near the front door instead of on my dining table, we'll see.

Anyway, here are the fabrics I pulled from my stash for the fall side:


Here are the fabrics for the winter side:


If I run out of fabric for one side before cutting all the pieces I'll either stash-dive again, shorten the length of the finished project or go to the fabric store. Probably one of the first two, though, as I'm trying to beautify my home this holiday season without breaking the budget to do it.

Stay tuned for my progress on this project and updates on the other two projects as well!

2 comments:

  1. I need to get my craft lair cleaned out and somewhat organized so I can make some things. I really want to finish some clothes for rowan before he is twelve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo that's great
    Maybe I'll join you I have a ton of fabric and none of my one Halloween decorations

    ReplyDelete