Crafty Stories

I like to tell stories through the creative arts. I may be slightly obsessed with books, movies, TV shows, yarn and fiber. Wanna hang out?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spin a Story: Rue's Lullaby Handspun Yarn

Hello, my lovelies!

You may have noticed that my Storied Yarns Shop is a tad bit empty at the moment. Sorry about that. I'm waiting on a big honkin' order to come in from my supplier and then I promise I will dye until my hands turn all sorts of fun colors and get that baby re-stocked. Want something to look forward to? How about this: in April my re-stock focus will be on my new-ish Downton Abbey colorways, and in May my re-stock will focus on my oldies-but-goodies Percy Jackson colorways.

Hooray!!

In the meantime, I've been a spinning fool over here. My spinning wheel and I are having quite the love affair lately, with several fun and awesome yarns coming off those bobbins. Today I'm taking a break to tell you all about one of them:

Rue's Lullaby.




As you know, I believe very strongly that when you create something with your hands, you tell a story through that creation. This is why I work so hard to make hand dyed and spun yarns and hand dyed spinning fibers that are inspired by the stories we love, because I feel we have a chance to honor that story in our memories when we use the yarn or fiber. Plus, it adds such depth to the item we create when we infuse it with the spirit of the story that inspired it. 

In my own storytelling this week, I created this yarn. I corespun my Rue batt and then plied it with clear sewing thread. Then I washed and set the yarn and when I was finished I sewed on lovely organza flowers (purchased, by the way, from this shop).




This batt (and, of course, the yarn) was inspired by Rue, a character in Suzanne Collins's novel The Hunger Games. I'm going to assume you haven't been living under a rock and that you know the basic idea behind this novel and its movie version which just came out in theaters last weekend.

For those of you who have read the book or watched the movie, my use of flowers in this yarn will make perfect sense. It might even give you chills or make you weepy - it does that to me, I'm hoping I'm not the only one. If it does, then it illustrates my point perfectly. I have told a story through this yarn, paying tribute to a character in a story that touched me and stayed with me long after I closed the book.

I LOVE stories, and this is my way of helping them to go on beyond the page.

What kinds of stories are YOU telling this week?

1 comment:

  1. That yarn is beautiful and I love when there is a story behind the art.

    ReplyDelete