Crafty Stories

I like to tell stories through the creative arts. I may be slightly obsessed with books, movies, TV shows, yarn and fiber. Wanna hang out?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Decorate for Fall: Handmade Garland Ideas

So, I should probably confess that I may be slightly addicted to garland. I don't know what it is about garland that I love so much, though I guess it might be that it's so simple and easy to make and yet makes your home feel automatically more festive when you hang it up.

This fall I plan to add to the garland collection I already own in order to really pretty up my house for the various upcoming holidays. Won't you join me in my garland-making adventures?

Last year I made this garland:


Here is a close-up shot of one leaf and one pumpkin:


I used all my own handspun to make the garland and then strung it on some commercial brown cotton yarn. I used the crochet leaf pattern from Crochet Memories and the knitted pumpkin pattern from Natural Suburbia. I love this garland and it fits perfectly over a doorway in my dining room. This year I may add some more to it, maybe some silk flowers and leaves, to fill it out a little.

Today I came across this crochet lacy leaf garland from Goodknits. Um, yes please! I love it. Lucky for me I have a big window in the front of my living room with a wooden cornice over it which is perfect for displaying garland. I'll be diving through my stash today to find some more handspun and possibly fiber to spin in fall colors so I can make this garland soon!

Stay tuned to this blog for more ideas to decorate your home with a handmade and frugal flair this fall and winter holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment