Crafty Stories

I like to tell stories through the creative arts. I may be slightly obsessed with books, movies, TV shows, yarn and fiber. Wanna hang out?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

In which we interrupt this fiber blog with a post about vegan dessert

Ok, so normally I talk about yarn and fiber. And sometimes general crafting. Today, though, I have a recipe to share!

I'm sure my sister would be falling out of her chair if she were reading this, because let's just say I am NOT the person in my family to have the cooking gene. Normally I don't enjoy cooking at all, but when there's dessert involved then I'm all for it.

I should premise this post by saying that I have my own personal brand of vegan-ism. I'm not here to turn this into a vegan-centric blog and I don't really want to spend a lot of time talking about my dietary choices. Suffice it to say that I'm trying hard not to ingest dairy foods just so I can get fat, and that means no more ice cream for me.

We bought an ice cream maker and attempted to make vegan style ice cream by substituting the milk in the standard recipe for almond milk and the cream for vegan creamer. It turned out mostly mushy and not very good. I have big issues with food texture and this was just wrong on so many levels. I had almost given up on the idea of ever having frozen, creamy dessert again.

Then, inspiration struck. I got a coupon mailer with a smoothie recipe in it, and it got me to thinking that a smoothie put into an ice cream maker might make for some really good sorbet. From that idea, this recipe was born. I hope you'll use it, tweak it, modify it, and ENJOY it!

How to Make Vegan Fruit Sorbet

Directions:
- Fill your blender with one sliced banana, a large handful of frozen fruit (I used peaches because that's what I had on hand; I think pineapples would be ahh-mazing) and a can of creme of coconut (available in the liquor/mixers aisle at the grocery store).
- Blend until super smooth.
- Pour the blender contents into your ice cream maker and turn it on. Wait the amount of time you normally have to wait for the ice cream to form.
- Eat and enjoy!

I think this recipe would be great with pineapples, as I said. I also think it would be nice to add nuts, shredded coconut or other goodies. I used two bananas in the original recipe and that turned out to be a little heavy on the banana flavor for me, so I hope it still works out, texture-wise, with only one.

Another good thing about this recipe is that there were only 110 calories in the entire can of creme of coconut that I used, so that plus fruit gives you a pretty low calorie content for a VERY sweet dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment